Think of a scenario where you are in the middle of winning a gaming marathon and your game freezes suddenly. This delay between the reaction of the game server and the action of players is termed as game lag. It might prove to be very costly for avid gamers by placing them in the backseat while their opponent fires the first shot. There are services however that offer no upfront cost solutions. Gaming lags can be very irritating and frustrating for gamers. Irrespective of who pressed the button first, your server fails to react immediately and this might provide an edge to your opponent if their game is faster. If you have been facing similar issues, then you have come to the right place. Today we are going to discuss ways of dealing with your gaming lag and increasing your winning chances:
- Primarily, you need to check the speed and bandwidth of your internet connection whether you are gaming on your apple iPhone or a gaming console. Contrary to popular belief, business-speed internet is not required for a seamless gaming experience. However, you will require a minimum of 15-20Mbps for a lag-free experience. If you are thinking of getting a sim-only plan for your mobile with unlimited data to enjoy gaming on the go, then you need to pay heed to the network speed. At the same time, you also need to pay attention to your bandwidth if you live with others and they have internet-surfing requirements like video chatting, movie streaming, and web browsing. Downloading files and streaming videos require a lot of data and can slow down your game if your connection lacks adequate bandwidth.
- Network latency refers to the time it takes for data to travel to the destination from the source. Ideally, low latency is perfect for gaming as high latency might lead to gaming lag. The best combination is low latency and high-speed internet. Latency depends to a great extent on your network hardware, broadband connection, router, and location of the remote server.
- Obstructions like floors, walls, furniture, etc. can meddle with the strength of your Wi-Fi signal. This is why it is advisable to move closer to your router for improving your connectivity and enhancing the Wi-Fi signal. If the lag persists, then you can shift your gaming position like the angle of your phone or reduce signal interferences from household appliances like microwaves, wireless speakers, or mobile chargers. Doing the latter allows the wireless signal to reach your device through a direct route.
- Bandwidth-heavy websites like YouTube and Netflix can affect your latency and ping rate to a great extent. It also meddles with your gaming performance which is why you need to shut down these background apps. Having multiple devices connected to your Wi-Fi can also dampen your gaming performance as it consumes a large amount of bandwidth.
- The router capacity gets strained when it has been in use for quite some time. You can improve latency and refresh your connection by restarting your router. The connection strength, reliability, and speed also get hampered to a great extent by old routers. Ideally, you need to bring home gaming routers that can optimize the gaming performance through features like Quality of Service which prioritizes internet traffic for the best gaming experience.
- One of the best ways of increasing internet speed and reducing gaming lag is by getting a better broadband package. Getting cheap deals might not always suffice your data needs. You can either choose between dial-up internet requiring telephone landline or broadband internet. The package you opt for needs to offer better gaming conditions. You can also switch to another broadband provider if they provide a more reliable connection.
Lag is a sign of high ping or high latency issues. One of the foremost requirements of enjoying a consistent gaming experience is bidding adieu to the lag. You can do the same by following the aforementioned tips.