Today Turbine, Inc. relaunched Dungeon & Dragons Online, scrapping the previous pay-to-play model in favor of a free-to-play one. In celebration of this, Turbine has released a new trailer letting soon-to-be adventurers know what to expect when they enter the world of Ebberon.
Taking gamers to the continent of Xen’drik in the Ebberon campaign setting, DDO provides players with a massively multiplayer version of the classic table-top Dungeons and Dragons gameplay. Although DDO follows the revised edition of D&D 3.5 rule-set, several changes were made due to differences in the dynamics between the media of computer game combat and tabletop gaming. For example, combat is done in real-time in DDO, as opposed to turn base in the table-top game. Don’t let this scare you away though. I’ve been a huge fan of pen and paper D&D since I was a kid and I’m having a blast with DDO.
For the official relaunch trailer and more info on DDO hit the jump.
Jim Crowley, CEO of Turbine commented on the relaunch saying, “Today Turbine changes the way gamers experience their online entertainment by providing them with a choice in how they pay and play for a premium MMO. The DDO Unlimited Beta program has been a huge success and the initial response to the game from both press and players has been nothing short of phenomenal. In response, we have already more than doubled our capacity to handle the increased demand.”
According to Fernando Paiz, Executive Producer of Dungeons and Dragons Online, “DDO Unlimited is the most innovative, exciting and feature rich MMO to ever hit the free to play market. We’ve come a long way since our launch and it has been very rewarding to see the positive response to the game from players and reporters alike. DDO Unlimited’s future is very bright and we’re already getting more adventures ready to introduce to the game later in the year.”
Dungeons and Dragons Online features:
- DDO Unlimited’s New Content & Features – DDO Unlimited delivers a new class, increases the level cap to 96 ranks, introduces new adventure packs including a new 12-player raid, and features major combat improvements.
- The Fiercest Combat of any MMO – DDO Unlimited features an extraordinary heart- pounding combat experience that requires players to fully engage in the battle by relying on their wits and reflexes in real time. No more clicking skills and watching the action from the sideline.
- Mind-blowing Visuals – Explore a vast and dangerous online world that features the most advanced graphics in the industry and is stuffed with the legendary monsters, glorious treasures, devious traps, mind-bending puzzles and endless adventures from the world’s best known RPG.
- Full-featured MMO – Experience sophisticated systems found only in the best games including auctions, NPC hirelings, arena death matches (Player versus Player), crafting, and powerful social tools for finding a group, forming a guild or planning an epic raid!
- Easier Than Ever! – DDO Unlimited gets you playing in minutes instead of hours, using new proprietary Turbine technology. Creating a new character is incredibly simple with guides and templates that speed you through the process. Features an all-new new player experience that gives gamers their first taste of excitement quickly while teaching them how to play solo or with a group of fellow adventurers.
If DDO sounds like something you’d be interested in, head on over to the Dungeons and Dragons Online site. There you can register for a free account and download the game client.