It’s time for the PS3 firmware to finally leave the terrible twos behind and upgrade to the new and exciting version 3.00. Later this evening the new firmware update, originally announced earlier this month at Gamescom, will finally be unleashed upon the public for mass download. Along with it will come a laundry list of features including multiple cosmetic and navigation related changes, which are sure to make everyone’s experience a little bit better.
In case you’ve forgotten what the new features are, or if you never saw them to begin with, hit the jump for a complete list.
According to the official Playstation Blog, the full list of firmware v3.00 features includes.
- “What’s New” – The “Information Board” will be replaced with a “What’s New” section, which allows you to enjoy interactive PlayStation news every time you start the PS3 system. Located under the PlayStation Network icon, “What’s New” displays the latest and greatest game, video, PlayStation Network and PlayStation news and releases, as well as your recently played games, in a sleek, new animated format.
- Status Indicator – In the top right corner we’ve added an indicator bar, which displays your user icon, friend icon, the number of friends you have online and a small message icon to let you know if you have any new messages. The indicator also includes a scrolling ticker that features the latest news from PlayStation Network. In addition, when you press the PS button, the battery life indicator will no longer cover up the clock.
- Friends List – Now your PlayStation Network friends will appear in a slightly redesigned format on your Friends List. Also, messages will now be viewable from each of your friends’ respective profiles.
- PlayStation Store Shortcuts – We’ve added a handy shortcut icon to the PlayStation Store under both the Game and Video categories so you can access the latest content quickly and easily.
- Personalization – Personalize your PS3 with new dynamic custom themes and avatars. Dynamic themes as well as free and premium avatars will be available through PlayStation Store. A dynamic theme takes your screen to a whole new level as it incorporates animated objects into the background.
- Trophies – Showcasing your hard earned trophies just got better. Update 3.00 gives game developers the ability to modify how they display trophies for add-on content. Base and add-on game trophies will continue to be combined into a single list so you can see where you stand in a game as a whole. Within that list, trophies will be broken out into subcategories—base trophies and add-on trophies—that way, you can easily view the percentage of your base game trophy collection, and separately track your trophy progress in add-on packs. Look for this enhancement to be included in upcoming games.
Sony has stated it’s looking forward to this new update and thinks a lot of users will be happy with the plethora of changes. Unfortunately they still haven’t included cross-game voice chat, which is currently the #1 feature requested by the public. I have my fingers crossed that the smart engineers over at Sony will eventually get around to adding this. It’s only a matter of time.
Source: Playstation Blog