Thanks to a tip from one of our community users, it seems like Resident Evil is adding some competitive modes in addition to the friendly “Mercenaries” game. 2v2 Competitive play in a Resident Evil? Yes please! So far it’s only been confirmed for the PS3, but something tells me it will be announced for both soon (Thanks to Basic Elite).
New Mode: Slayers
Plays very similar to Mercenaries, but with players competing against each other to get the highest score from kill infected souls and B.O.Ws. A handicap system helps the player with the lowest points by doubling the amount of points they are awarded (though this doesn’t apply to combo bonuses). Time Bonus and Combo Bonus rules apply as before, with enemy types and item locations remaining the same (as in Mercenaries).
If any player dies during a game, they lose points and will reappear elsewhere on the map to carry on playing (note: you may sometimes spawn in the heat of a battle, or next to a boss). There is no limit to the amount of times you can die, though you shouldn’t expect much of a score if you do too often. Most players will encounter enemies on difficulty grade level 6 (Normal/Veteran), but the leading player must battle enemies on Grade level 10 (Pro level).
New Mode: Survivors
This game variant is all about Player VS Player action. There are still aggressive creatures present, making the arenas more challenging, but their frequency has been reduced. Combos no longer play a role, as the points you score are directly received from dealing damage to other players. There are no points for killing monsters. You must also strive from taking any damage from the monsters yourself.
Each player starts with just a basic firearm, with powerful weapons littered about the arena. Every map has different combinations of weapons, and you may wish to acquire weapons from bosses by killing them.
Both modes include 2 vs 2 team combat, as well.
Other modes include:
Team Slayers, Team Survivors and Versus.
- Army of One – Win 30 matches in Slayers.
- Eye of the Tiger- Win 30 matches in Survivors.
- The Team that slays together – Win 30 matches in Team Slayers.
- We Will Survive – Win 30 matces in Team Survivors.
- Keep the good times rolling – Chain a 20-defeated combo in Slayers.
- It takes two to tango – Chain a 40-defeated combo in Team Slayers.
- It’s all about the points – Score at least 40,000 points in Survivors.
- There is no “I” in team – Score at least 80,000 points in Team Survivors.
- Let’s get this party started! – Unlock all selectable characters in Versus.
- Bring the Pain – Defeat 100 players using physical attacks in Versus.